Food for Thought: 2017-09-25
Posted on September 25th, 2017
Here are some of the things I’ve found thought-provoking, recently. Ranked in priority-reading order:
- "Equifax Impressed By Hackers’ Ability To Ruin People’s Finances More Efficiently Than Company Can" (except, not really): http://www.theonion.com/article/equifax-impressed-hackers-ability-ruin-peoples-fin-56882
- A number of large companies with presence in Indiana are going through RIFs, this year (though not targeting Indiana, specifically). Dow, Cox Enterprises, Angie’s List, Lily all in the mix, now: https://www.ibj.com/articles/65293-lilly-eliminating-3500-jobs-as-part-of-cost-cutting-plan and https://www.ibj.com/articles/65303-angies-list-poised-to-cut-230-jobs-following-merger.
- At the same time, people are looking at a bid for the new Amazon headquarters: https://www.ibj.com/articles/65294-could-central-indiana-be-candidate-for-amazons-proposed-second-north-american-hq
- IndyEleven and their league having a hard time. Will it be possible to go MLS or USL? https://www.ibj.com/articles/65276-indy-elevens-league-again-faces-uncertain-future
- After news of the salmon pen break, NPR explains how it was that there were Atlantic Salmon in Washington state: http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2017/08/29/546803147/why-are-atlantic-salmon-being-farmed-in-the-northwest
- Propublica release a tool to check prescriber information for Medicare Part D: https://projects.propublica.org/checkup/
- More wholesome comics!
- I didn’t know there were albino trees http://cellar.org/showthread.php?s=5f9d70e03ac1b897150d7c5057c2930f&p=995288#post995288
Read anything over the last week that I should add for next time? Let me know!